Tuesday, November 23, 2010

True Romance-A 90's classic!

Where do I start with this movie??? I LOVE IT! And anyone who says they don't love this movie is fucking lame.

I mean, who isn't in this movie? Do I need to list credits here? No?? Too bad, I am going to anyways, just as a reminder to all of you why this movie is so RAD!

Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Dennis Hopper
Val Kilmer
Brad Pitt
Christopher Walken

And the list keeps on going...

Michael Rapaport
James Gandolfini
Samuel L. Jackson
Chris Penn (R.I.P.)
Tom Sizemore
and
Ed Lauter.

True Romance, was written by non other then QUENTIN TARANTINO! He is our kick ass, gory writer and director from the 90's. Name a movie that he has written that you don't love. Just one, please! How about Pulp Fiction?? Nope, maybe Reservoir Dogs?? Didn't fucking think so. Do we even need to get in 2000's?? Alright maybe just one "Kill Bill Vols 1 & 2". I love this man!

True Romance has everything that, we, who came of age in the 90's, love so much in an Action-slash-Love story. There are drugs, sex, violence and, at the time, a slew of virtually unknown actors. I bet half of them you wouldn't have recognized if you had watched the movie when it was released in 1993.

Clarence (Christian Slater) meets Alabama (Patricia Arquette) a hooker, in a movie theater. They fall in love and get married in 2 minutes. Newly-wed groom Clarence hits up Gary Oldman, Alabama's pimp, to get her stuff, and tell him that his bride is no longer a hooker. 

Things get out of control! 

In the end, almost everyone dies. Clarence accidentally takes a suitcase of uncut cocaine instead of Alabama's clothes. The story starts in dingy Detroit, hits up posh Beverly Hills, on a roller coaster ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain and ends on a beautiful beach in Cancun, Mexico!

Don't you love a movie with a happy ending? I do!

Add in that haunting song that plays through out the whole movie that you can't get out of your head, EVER, by Hans Zimmer and you have one of the best movies from the early 90's. And probably the last good role Christian Slater ever played.





Well, Bill D. goth girls are not the only thing we miss about the 90's. We miss the cameos by the A-List actors and the music of our generation. The classic movies that aren't based on a book or a remake of another movie. Just good-ole shoot-em-up movies that make you fall in love with the leads, and with the right mix of everything!!

Of course, in 1993, when this movie was released, I was not allowed to watch it, I was too young, so I didn't get to see it on the big screen, but it was well worth it on VHS and now DVD/Bluray.

The first time I saw it was with my boy-friend at the time, circa 1998. He told me that the reason why he left his nice posh home in upper-class Bellevue, Washington, and moved to a crappy apartment in Santa Monica was to be an actor is because of this movie! WTF!!!! Yes, that is how fucking good this movie is.

Watch this movie if you have not seen it in awhile, and by awhile, I mean in the last 6 months, 'cause that is how often this movie should be watched.

So my suggestion....Watch this movie again, BITCHES! And love it or be damned.

Margot

No comments:

Post a Comment