Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

I keep watching this movie trying to figure out what its about. I am still not sure why it was produced. This screenplay in NOT based on a book. I wish it was. It would be nice to have a reference, like a book, this movie makes no sense!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/Imaginarium_of_doctor_parnassus_ver3.jpg

The writer must know some people in high places. I am sure that this is the ONLY way the screenplay made it to the silver screen. Or maybe he knew the BIG NAME actors and he blackmailed them into doing him a favor and being in his pet project. The writer, Terry Gilliam, knows plenty of people in high places. He wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas  and is the one and the same Terry Gilliam from Monty Python. Yep, same guy!

I understand Johnny Depp being in this movie. He makes certain movies just to prove he is not a total sellout. Colin Farrell is in this movie to remove himself from his "bad boy" image. Which is a load of crap, because he ends up portraying the dick-fuck. I am pretty sure Jude Law is only in it because they needed one more good looking guy with an English accent. And, well, do I really need to explain Health Ledger?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/HeathJoker.png
RIP Heath

I don't know what is the   The Imaginarium of Doctor Panassus. I was able to decipher that Doctor Parnassus, played by Christopher Plummer Christopher Plummer who had already made a deal with the devil for everlasting life, finally finds true love. In his desire to be young again to marry his true love, he makes a second deal  with the devil, where he trades his offspring for youth. Bad idea. Deals with the devil. 

He marries his true love and has a daughter, Valentina (OMG, I love that name). The devil, who always seems to remember the nuances of his deals, contacts Doctor Parnassus 3-days before Valentina's 16th birthday. Doctor Parnassus doesn't want to give up Valentina. The devil offers him a wager: whomever gets 5 souls first, wins Valentina's soul. The wager is a mind-fuck, just like the movie. The devil wants souls and Doctor Parnassus must deliver 5 souls ASAP or he loses his daughter. Doctor Parnassus hustles like nobodies business to save Valentina. In the end,we learn that there good and evil within everyone, including the devil, who showed mercy on Valentina's soul. And sweet Valentina gets the normal life that she so desired-with a severely fucked up dad.

Terry Gilliam does have a great imagination. And I think that for most people who are screen writers, getting a movie like on the screen would be the most amazing thing in the world for them. But for most, it will never happen.

You need to be really open-minded to watch this movie. I really tried. In fact, I watched it twice just to make sure that I was giving you a proper review.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/ImagOfParn_one-sheet.jpg
This picture explains the movie to perfection. Oh wait, it doesn't explain anything? Yep, That's my point.

But really, if you are not stoned, drunk or on some other type of drug, this movie would be boring as fuck. I choose to watch it drunk. I thought that it was fabulous while intoxicated. It is visually stunning while intoxicated. You will only enjoy The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus while intoxicated, it won't make any sense, but you will have fun watching it. Sorry boys- Johnny Depp, Colin Farrel, Jude Law and Health Ledger-I love you all, but, sober, the movie is boring and doesn't make any sense!

Margot

PS I watched this movie at least twice sober. Maybe I need to take acid...

No comments:

Post a Comment